|Publisher:||Agam Kala Publications|
|No. of Pages:||772|
About The Author
Prof. Daya Nath Tripathi (b.1938) S/o Late Pandit Ram Kishor Sharma is an internationally renowned archaeologist and academician who served in the Department of Ancient History, Culture & Archaeology at Deen Dayal Upadhayay Gorakhpur University for 40 years and retired in 1998 from the post of Professor and Head. He has been awarded Ph.D. in 1976 by the Southampton University (U.K.) for his masterly work titled 'Bronze work of Greece'. After retirement, he served as visiting Professor at Allahabad University (1998-99), Fellow at Indian Institute of Advance Studies, Shimla (1999-2002), visiting Professor at British Academy, London (2003), Member of Indian Council of Historical Research (1998-2004) and Chairman of Indian Council of Historical Research (2004-07).
Archaeology and Tradition is a collection of articles in the honour of Prof. Tripathi which contains articles on different aspects of History, Culture, Archaeology, Epigraphy, Numismatics, Art & Iconography, Architecture, Philosophy, Tradition, Historiography and other related subjects. The first volume contains total 27 articles, 20 on archaeology and 7 on epigraphy & numismatics. The second volume contains total 46 articles, 13 on art, iconography & Architecture, 13 on religion, 06 on historiography and 14 on general aspects. These volumes are useful to the scholars of related fields.
Dr. B. R. Mani (b.1955) S/o Late Prof. C. Mani from Varanasi, U.P. has been a renowned field archaeologist, numismatist and art critic, who has served as Additional Director General in the Archaeological Survey of India and retired in April, 2015. He has a throughout first class first career up to his Master degree which he did from Banaras Hindu University in 1976 receiving Altekar gold medal and BHU gold medal and completed his Ph.D. on 'Life in the Kushan Age' in 1980 from B.H.U. He has been teaching in B.H.U. and Central Institute of Higher Tibetan Studies from 1978 till 1984 when he joined the A.S.I. as Deputy Superintending Archaeologist. Since then he has been involved in conservation of monuments in Maharashtra, Goa, Delhi and Jammu and Kashmir. He has discovered a large number of archaeological sites in these places besides also in Uttar Pradesh and Haryana during his explorations. He has directed more than 19 excavation projects in the country, some of which are LalKot (Delhi), Salimgarh (Delhi), Muhammad Nagar and Harnol (Haryana), Siswania, Sankisa, Ayodhya, Lathiya (UP) and Kanispur and Ambaran (J&K). Recently he re-excavated the sites of Kapilavastu, Rajghat and Sarnath (UP) during 2013-15. He is member of various national and international organizations in the field and has widely traveled to European, American and Asian countries in international seminars and conferences. He has six books and about 200 research papers to his credit. Presently he is the General Secretary of the Indian Archaeological Society, New Delhi and also edits two of its international journals.
Indudhar Dwivedi (b.1952) S/o Late Prof. Shiva Dutta Dwivedi from Gorakhpur U.P. Graduated with a combination of Pali, Sanskrit, Ancient History & Archaeology and procured Master's Degree in archaeology of the Deccan College Post Graduate & Research Institute, Pune and P.G. Diploma in Archaeology from School of Archaeology, ASI, Delhi and joined Archaeological Survey of India in 1976 at Vadodara Circle as Technical Assistant. Thereafter, he served in Excavation Branch, New Delhi and Museum Branch, Eastern Zone. Sarnath Museum got new orientation after reorganization of galleries by his great endeavour and efforts. As a Registering Officer in U.P. and Delhi, he was instrumental in registering thousands of antiquities and implementing the provisions of the Antiquities and Art Treasure Act, 1972. He has conducted several excavations such as Inamgaon (Maharastra), Sohgaura, Mathura, Ayodhya, Piprahwa, Sringverpur, Lathiya (U.P.), Kayavrohan (Gujarat), Sanghol (Punjab) and Adibadri, Anangpur (Haryana) to name a few. He served as Superintending Archaeologist in the Survey at Shimla, Central Antiquity Section and Antiquity Customs Officers at IGI Airport Palam New Delhi, Lucknow, Patna and Agra Circles wherein he has explored many Archaeological sites and completed various projects and retired in the year 2012.
Dr. Vimal Tiwari (b.1980) S/o Shri Nand Kishor Tiwari from Gonda, U.P. is a budding Archaeologist having keen interest in Proto Historic Archaeology. He did his Master's (2001) in Ancient Indian History & Archaeology from University of Lucknow, P.G. Diploma in Archaeology (2006) from Institute of Archaeology, ASI, Delhi and Ph.D. (2011) on 'Human Settlements in Saryupar Region' from Dr. R.M.L. Avadh University, Faizabad. He has participated in the excavations at Lahuradewa (U.P.), Baror (Rajasthan), Ganwaria & Piprahwa (U.P.) and carried out explorations in Saryupar plain. He joined Archaeological Survey of India as Assistant Archaeologist in October 2009 and served in the Vadodara and Lucknow Circles. In the year 2014 he has been selected for the post of Curator in the Department of Art, Culture and Youth, Government of Bihar and presently posted at Maharajadhiraj Lakshmishwar Singh Museum, Darbhanga. He is member of Indian Archaeological Society, New Delhi, Indian Society for Prihistoric & Quaternary Studies, Pune and I-SERVE, Delhi. Dr. Tiwari has participated in various national and international seminars and conferences in India and published several research papers in various journals.