Electrical power system together with Generation, Distribution and utilization of Electrical Energy by the same author cover almost six to seven courses offered by various universities under Electrical and Electronics Engineering curriculum. Also, this combination has proved highly successful for writing competitive examinations viz. UPSC, NTPC, National Power Grid, NHPC, etc.
In a clear and systematic manner, this book presents an exhaustive exposition of the various dimensions of electrical power systems. Both basic and advanced topics have been thoroughly explained and illustrated through solved examples. Salient Features
- Fundamentals of power systems, line constant calculations and performance of overhead lines have been discussed.
- Mechanical design of lines, HVDC lines, Corona, Insulators and Insulated cables have been explained.
- Voltage control, Neutral grounding and Transients in power systems explained.
- Fault calculation, protective relays including digital relays and circuit breakers discussed in that order.
- Power systems synchronous stability and voltage stability explained.
- Insulation coordination and overvoltage protection explained.
- Modern topics like Load flows, Economic load dispatch, Load frequency control and compensation in power system nicely developed and explained using Flow Charts wherever required.
- Zbus formulation, power transformers and synchronous machines as power system elements highlighted.
- Large number of solved examples, practice problems and multiple choice questions included. Answers to problems and multiple choice questions provided.
- State Estimation of Power System under steady state conditions exhaustively covered.
- Unit commitment aspects of electronic load scheduling discussed in detail.
- Economic scheduling of Hydro-thermal plants explained and the general problem of Optimal Power flows discussed nicely.
With all theunse features, this is an invaluable textbook for undergraduate electrical engineering students of Indian and foreign universities. AMIE, GATE, all competitive examination candidates and practising engineers would also find this book very useful. About the Author C.L. Wadhwa
was former Professor and Head of Electrical Engineering Department at the Delhi College of Engineering, Delhi, obtained his Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
Professor Wadhwa has an experience of more than 30 years in teaching undergraduate as well as postgraduate classes in the area of electrical machines, transmission networks, utilization of electric energy, switchgear and protection, high voltage engineering, electric field theory, advanced network analysis, computer optimization, economics of power systems, computer method in power systems etc. He has also contributed a few papers in national and international journals. His current interests are economic operation of power systems, multi-objective programming and sparsity techniques in power systems. Table of Contents
- Fundamentals of power systems
- Line constant calculations
- Capacitance of transmission lines
- Performance of lines
- High voltage D.C. transmission
- Mechanical design of transmission lines
- Overhead line insulators
- Insulated cables
- Voltage control
- Neutral grounding
- Transients in power systems
- Symmetrical components and fault calculations
- Protective relays
- Circuit breakers
- Insulation coordination and overvoltage protection
- Power system synchronous stability
- Load flows
- Economic load dispatch
- Load frequency control
- Compensation in power system
- Power system voltage stability
- State estimation in power systems
- Unit commitment
- Economic scheduling of Hydothermal plants and optimal power flows
- Objective questions
- Answers to objective questions
- Answers to problems