About the Book :
New Pattern Organic Chemistry for JEE Main & JEE Advanced 11th edition - A MASTERPIECE BY Dr. O. P. Agarwal and Nirmal Singh.
The book is written with the objective that, Rather than memorising mechanisms, the student should be able to work-through' the mechanisms based on previous knowledge.
The revised edition has been enriched with a lot of new questions on the new pattern of IIT-JEE.
The present 11th edition New Pattern Organic Chemistry for JEE Main & Advanced contains 23 chapters. The book covers Classification & Nomenclature, Stereochemistry, Reactions & their mechanisms, General organic chemistry, Hydrocarbons - Alkanes, Alkenes, Alkynes ; Halo alkanes & Halo arenes, Alcohols, Phenols, Ethers, Aldehydes & Ketones, Carboxylic acids & their derivatives, Amines, Biomolecules, Polymers and Practical Organic Compounds.
Some of the salient features of the revised edition are:
- More focus on questions based on reaction mechanisms, organic conversions, identification of organic compounds & typical problems involving application of two or more concepts;
-s The book aims at 100% Concept Clarity for the students. The theory is followed by in-chapter Exercises (Test Your Understanding), Illustrative Examples and 3 levels of Exercises.
- The first exercise is an Objective one with single choice correct MCQs.
- The second exercise covers questions on the NEW PATTERN of IIT-JEE - MCQs (more than 1 correct), Passages, Multiple Matching and Assertion-Reason Type questions.
- The final exercise covers quality subjective questions. The various questions covered are:
1. Illustrations + Miscellaneous Solved Example Discussions 312
2. MCQ 1 Correct Questions - 776
3. MCQ more than 1 correct Questions - 288
4. Assertion Reason type Questions - 95
5. Multiple Matching Questions - 69
6. Passage based Questions - 258
7. True False type Questions - 27
8. Subjective Questions including Integer Answer 398
- The book also features a SPECIAL SECTION on revising and strengthening the concepts through passage based questions. The book provides solutions to most of the questions.
Table of contents
1. Classification and Nomenclature of Organic Compounds
2. Basic Concepts in Organic Chemistry
4. Organic Reactions and their Mechanism
5. Aliphatic Hydrocarbons I : Alkanes and Cycloalkanes
6. Aliphatic Hydrocarbons II : Alkenes and Alkynes
7. Aromatic Hydrocarbons
8. Aliphatic Halogen Derivatives
9. Aryl Halides
10. Organometallic Compounds
11. Monohydric Alcohols
12. Ethers, Epoxides and Polyhydric Alcohols
14. Aldehydes and Ketones
16.Unsaturated carbonyl compounds
17. Carboxylic Acids
18. Functional Derivatives of Carboxylic acids
19. Aliphatic amines
20. Aromatic amines and Diazonium salts
21. Other Nitrogen containing compounds
23. Amino Acids & Polymers
24. Practical Organic Chemistry
Special Section on Learning, Revision & Strengthening
Appendix I to V
About the Author:
Dr. O. P. Agarwal, known for his erudite style of writing, wrote India's first book in Chemistry for IIT-JEE in the year 1982. As it was the first work written after a lot of research the book became the MOST POPULAR BOOK in Chemistry. It is said that most of the faculty for IIT-JEE in India has learned to teach Chemistry from Dr. Agarwal's IIT-JEE Chemistry book. The book in its 131st edition is still the hot favourite among the JEE aspiring students. Dr. Agarwal has written more than 30 bestsellers in the field of Chemistry in his 35 years of writing experience. Dr. Agarwal had retired as HOD of the Chemistry Department, Meerut University.Nirmal Singh is a specialised faculty of Chemistry for IIT-JEE. He is popularly known as nirmal sir among the student community. He has a unique distinction of clearing IIT 3 times with ranks 1097 in 1992 , 497 in 1993 and 20 in 1994 he is nowadays indulged in teaching students in a renowned coaching centre in Kanpur.